Red Hair Care 101- Why It Fades and How to Stop It?
Admin July 15 2022
There’s no denying it. Red hair is by far the most attention-grabbing hair color. Bright ginger locks catch the eye with ease. Sadly, it’s also the color that fades the fastest, so it takes a little extra care to keep it looking beautiful and vibrant. After all, once you’ve found your perfect shade you want to hold onto it for as long as you can. Let’s take a look today at the reason red hair fades so quickly and what you can do to stop it.
Why Red Hair Tends to Fade So Quickly
It’s not just your imagination. Ginger hair does in fact fade more quickly than other hair colors. The reason for this is that the red dye molecules themselves are larger than those of other colors of dye. This is both a blessing and a curse because while the larger molecules make the color more vibrant, it also makes it more prone to fading. Here’s why. The large molecules of red dye can’t penetrate as deeply into the hair and more of it rests on or near the surface. Your strands also aren’t able to absorb as much of the dye. Since the dye molecules don’t go as deep it’s much easier for them to be washed away and fade your color.
How to Stop Fading
Keeping the red on your head and out of the shower drain does take a little extra effort, but it really pays off. Here’s what you can do.
Shampoo Less Often- When it comes to holding onto that vibrant red color, the most important thing you can do is modify your wash routine. The less often you lather up the longer your color will last. This doesn’t mean that you can’t wash your hair. It just means that you should shampoo less often. Most people shampoo too often anyway. Try cutting back to only washing a couple of times per week and freshening up between with dry shampoo. You should also use a sulfate-free shampoo that is formulated for red color-treated hair.
Take Precautions When Swimming- We get it. It’s summer, and it’s hot. There simply is no better way to cool off on a hot summer day than diving in the water, but the pool is not your hair color’s friend. Pool chemicals like chlorine can damage your color and make it lose its vibrance. The best way to avoid this is to steer clear of the pool. But if you’re not willing to limit your pool time you can protect your hair in a few different ways. One is by wearing a swim cap, but this hides your gorgeous color. Another way is to wear your hair up high on your head and keep it above water. And if you prefer to just dive in and swim as usual, thoroughly wet your hair with fresh water and saturate your strands with a leave-in conditioner before jumping in. This will keep your tresses from soaking up as many pool chemicals and offer some protection for your color.
Reduce Sun and Heat- Because the red dye is more superficial than other colors it is more susceptible to heat and UV damage. To protect your color from sun and heat styling damage, opt for no heat styles whenever possible and take precautions before heading outdoors. You can apply a sunscreen formulated for hair if you don’t want to keep your hair under wraps, but the best way to protect your color from the sun is by wearing a wide-brimmed hat and staying in the shade as much as you can. If you don’t have either of those things handy, put your hair up in a braid or bun to minimize sun exposure.
Seal It With Gloss- One of the best ways to make your beautiful red last longer is by sealing it in with hair gloss. Not only will the gloss provide unbelievable shine that will make your color appear even more vibrant, but it will also add a protective coating to your strands that lock the color in place. A color gloss can also provide a pick-me-up with a wash of translucent color when your strands eventually do start to fade.
If you’re ready to try out the redhead life with some fiery red locks, come see the expert colorists at D’Ametri’s Hair Color and Design Studio. We will help you choose the perfect red to complement your complexion and make you look like you were born ginger. Give us a call at 303-274-7838, use our online booking tool, or download our free mobile app from iTunes or Google Play to book your appointment today. We’ll see you soon at 5760 Olde Wadsworth Blvd, Arvada, CO.
- The Magic of Eyelash Extensions: Your Guide to Choosing the Perfect Set
- Hair Toner- The Little-Known Hair Color Miracle You Should Get To Know Better
- New Year, New Vows: Bridal Hairstyle Inspiration for Your 2024 Wedding
- Fresh Start, Fabulous Hair: 2024 Hair Makeover Resolutions
- Winter Hair Woes? Say No More with Salon Botanical Conditioning Treatments
- Get Glam This Holiday Season with Lash Extensions
- Fresh and Fabulous: Top Fall Haircuts You'll Want to Try
- Managing Frizz and Static in Your Hair During Fall Weather
- The Science of Hair: Understanding How Seasonal Changes Affect Your Tresses
- Unlocking Sleek Perfection: The Art of Japanese Hair Straightening
- Fall Style Elevation: Exploring Extensions and Hairpieces for Hair Loss Solutions
- Rockin' Back-to-School Hairstyles for the 2023 Fall Semester
- Expert At-Home Skincare Tips for a Radiant Summer Glow
- Hot Hair Color Trends for Summer 2023: Embrace the Hottest Shades
- Discover the Hottest Summer Haircuts Taking Social Media by Storm
- Get Inspired: 7 Trending Summer Bridal Hairstyles for Your Dream Wedding
- Professional Facials Are Essential To Beautiful Skin
- Lash Extensions Define and Enhance Your Eyes For Effortless Beauty
- Beautiful And Easy Hairstyles For Busy Mornings
- You Can Use Hair Color To Brighten Your Complexion- Here's How
- Gorgeous Spring Hair Color Trends You'll Be Dying To Try
- Flaunt Gorgeous Hair This Spring With Hair Extensions
- Get Rid Of Dull Winter Skin With A Rejuvenating Spring Facial
- Get A Fresh Look This Spring With One Of These Trendy Haircuts
- Using The Right Hairbrush Can Make All The Difference
- Are Dirty Styling Tools Causing Your Bad Hair Days?
- A Healthy Scalp Equals Healthy Hair
- Gorgeous Haircuts You'll See Everywhere In 2023
- Winter 2022 Hair Color Forecast
- Easy Updos for the 2022 Holiday Season
- Bangs- The Biggest Fall Hair Trend of 2022
- Professional Hair Care Tips For Healthy Frizz-Free Tresses
- Awesome Men's Styles for Autumn 2022
- Bridal Hairstyle Inspiration For Your Autumn Wedding
- Trendy Cozy Hair Colors to "Fall" in Love With
- Easy, Low Maintenance Hairstyles For New Moms
- Trendy Hairstyles for Back-to-School 2022
- Red Hair Care 101- Why It Fades and How to Stop It?
- The Beauty of Traditional Foil Highlights- Full or Partial
- Nautical Themed Hairstyles for a Summer Beach Wedding
- Enjoy Smooth, Sleek Summer Styles with a Keratin Treatment
- Is Your Conditioner Right For You?
- Should Men Cover Their Grays?
- Balayage Vs Ombre- Are They the Same Thing?
- Things First Time Blondes Need to Know
- Get Unstoppable Shine With Color Gloss
- Handsome Men's Haircuts for Spring
- 4 Little Known Benefits of Hair Extensions
- Your Expert Guide to Rocking Healthy Curls
- Top Kids Haircuts of 2022
- Hot Hairstyles for Kick Off 2022 in Style
- Hot Hair Colors to Rock 2022
- D'Ametri's Gift Cards Make Holiday Gift Giving Easy
- Easy Hair Hacks for Healthy Winter Hair
- Fabulous and Easy Hairstyles for Your Thanksgiving Celebrations
- Simple Solutions to Boost Your Hair's Volume
- Should You Dump Your Hairbrush?
- Stunning Autumn Hair Colors To Get Excited About
- Fabulous Hairstyles to Help You Transition From Summer to Fall
- 3 Gorgeous Highlights to Brighten Your Late Summer Styles
- Japanese Hair Straightening for Smooth Frizz-Free Hair
- Cool Summer Pixie Cuts for Every Face Shape
- Beautiful Shades of Brunette for Your Summer Style
- Expert Tips for Healthy Summer Hair
- Color Mishaps Happen, Corrective Color Can Help
- 7 Hot Men’s Hairstyles for Summer 2021
- Update Your Look This Spring with a Perm
- Keep Your Hair Nourished & Healthy with Regular Conditioning
- Fall in Love with Hair Extensions this Summer
- Fun Spring Hair Color Ideas
- Haircut Styles You’ll Love in 2021
- Learn Hair Color Techniques and Trends
- American Board Certified Hair Colorists... WHY??
- Naturally Air Dry for Healthy Hair
- Plan Your 2021 Wedding Now with D’Ametris Bridal Services
- Hair Resolutions for Healthy, Manageable Hair
- Men Hairstyles for the Holidays
- Home Hair Care Tips for Winter
- Nutrition Plays a Key Role in Healthy Hair
- Choosing the Right Highlighting Style or Technique
- Enjoy a New Hair Cut & Style this Fall
- Love Your Hair with Hair Extensions
- We Take Safety Seriously at D’Ametri’s Hair Color and Design Studio
- Tips for Protecting Your Color-Treated Summer Hair
- Hot Highlight Colors for Summer
- May 11th Re-Opening
- Top Lob Hair Cuts for Spring
- 5 Bang Trends Dominating Hairstyles Today
- The 4 Secrets to Successfully Air Drying Your Hair
- Don’t Let Hat Hair Get the Best of You
- Flawless Styles for Any Face Shape
- Hair Trends for 2020
- 4 Steps to Creating a Gorgeous Wet Hair Look
- Getting the Right Hair Color for Your Skin Tone
- Love the Ease of Our Mobile App