Home Hair Care Tips for Winter
admin November 30 2020
If you’re no stranger to Colorado you know that winter months can be miserable with itchy cracked skin and dry brittle hair. As soon as the snow hits, our air becomes even drier which means unruly flyaways, frizz, split ends, and dry hair. Here are some hair care tips for you to follow while at home for the winter months to keep your hair healthy, manageable, and moisturized.
Stop frequent hair washings. It’s not necessary to wash your hair every day, and in the wintertime, it may be even less often. Repeated hair washing can alter the PH in your hair, especially if your hair is already susceptible to dryness. Infrequent hair washing can give your scalp time to replenish its natural oils which will help restore natural moisture to your hair. If you cannot stand the thought of not washing, or your hair feels oily, you can use dry shampoo as needed between washes.
Cool the hot water. While a hot steamy shower may seem a necessity to get you warm in the morning or to rejuvenate you after a long day, it can also dry out your scalp and skin when it’s too hot. Hot water strips your scalp and skin from its natural oils, the sebum made naturally by your body. Losing these natural oils causes your hair shaft to dry up and your scalp and skin to lose its much-needed moisture. If you must use that hot water to give your body a shot of warmth, turn it down to lukewarm as soon as you can and it’s recommended to rinse your hair in cooler water to help lock in moisture by sealing the hair follicles.
Treat your hair gently after a shower. Hair is vulnerable to breakage when it’s wet. After a shower, use a soft, microfiber towel to gently press the water out instead of rubbing it dry. Using a wide-tooth comb to brush it while it’s damp can help to prevent tearing the hair follicles which can happen from harsh brush bristles. If you have the time, it’s best to wait until your hair is about 80% air-dried before brushing and blow-drying. Using a heat protection product can help to dry it quicker and protect it from the heat of the dryer.
Add a deep conditioning treatment to your routine. Since your hair will dry out in the winter months, restore some moisture with a deep conditioning treatment weekly. An overnight hair mask can provide intense conditioning to nourish your hair and add moisture. Going from dry indoor heat to cold winter air can quickly deplete the moisture in your hair so be prepared to add moisture with weekly conditioning treatments. As your D’Ametris stylist which is best for your hair type.
Lower temperature on heated styling tools. Blow dryers, curling irons, flat irons, and hot rollers subject your hair to a lot of heat that can overheat your hair, causing brittle hair and dry split ends. If you can, turn down your heat settings on your tools to minimize the amount of heat used on your hair. Try some new hairstyles that can be done with damp hair such as ponytails, braids, buns, and twists to give your hair a break from the heated styling tools.
With our capacities severely lowered right now, you may not be able to get into D’Ametri’s Hair Color and Design Studio as often as you’d like. It’s important to take care of your hair at home during the winter to help keep it healthy, nourished, and manageable until you can get back in to see your favorite stylist.
At D’Ametri’s, our hairstylists are ready to give you a new hairstyle, cut, or hair color for the new season! Download our free mobile app, available on iTunes, or Google Play. If apps aren’t your thing, use our convenient online booking tool, visit us at 5760 Olde Wadsworth Blvd, Arvada, CO, or call 303-274-7838 to book an appointment.
- Japanese Hair Straightening for Smooth Frizz-Free Hair
- Cool Summer Pixie Cuts for Every Face Shape
- Beautiful Shades of Brunette for Your Summer Style
- Expert Tips for Healthy Summer Hair
- Color Mishaps Happen, Corrective Color Can Help
- 7 Hot Men’s Hairstyles for Summer 2021
- Update Your Look This Spring with a Perm
- Keep Your Hair Nourished & Healthy with Regular Conditioning
- Fall in Love with Hair Extensions this Summer
- Fun Spring Hair Color Ideas
- Haircut Styles You’ll Love in 2021
- Learn Hair Color Techniques and Trends
- American Board Certified Hair Colorists... WHY??
- Naturally Air Dry for Healthy Hair
- Plan Your 2021 Wedding Now with D’Ametris Bridal Services
- Hair Resolutions for Healthy, Manageable Hair
- Men Hairstyles for the Holidays
- Home Hair Care Tips for Winter
- Nutrition Plays a Key Role in Healthy Hair
- Choosing the Right Highlighting Style or Technique
- Enjoy a New Hair Cut & Style this Fall
- Love Your Hair with Hair Extensions
- We Take Safety Seriously at D’Ametri’s Hair Color and Design Studio
- Tips for Protecting Your Color-Treated Summer Hair
- Hot Highlight Colors for Summer
- May 11th Re-Opening
- Top Lob Hair Cuts for Spring
- 5 Bang Trends Dominating Hairstyles Today
- The 4 Secrets to Successfully Air Drying Your Hair
- Don’t Let Hat Hair Get the Best of You
- Flawless Styles for Any Face Shape
- Hair Trends for 2020
- 4 Steps to Creating a Gorgeous Wet Hair Look
- Getting the Right Hair Color for Your Skin Tone
- Love the Ease of Our Mobile App